As you are aware, our 'One School, One Book' event begins this Thursday, January 26th. Please note that the youngest child of each MMH family (not the oldest) will come home this Thursday with the chosen book for your family to enjoy. Inside the front cover, you will find a calendar that details the reading schedule for January 26th to February 16th, along with a heartfelt thanks to our sponsors.
If you are not familiar with 'One School, One Book,' the purpose is to encourage the enjoyment of literature through reading aloud at home, while students engage in book-related activities as a school-wide community. Reading aloud to children establishes foundational literacy skills by:
· Improving listening comprehension
· Increasing vocabulary
· Providing fluency models
· Promoting conceptual understanding
· Lengthening attention spans
· Creating a positive attitude toward books and reading
The kick-off events on Thursday, January 26th are as follows. Please feel welcome to attend any of the events:
· 'One School, One Book' Kick-Off Assembly: The book selection will be revealed - 2:15
· Family Literacy Evening: part of the evening will include reading the first three chapters of our One School, One Book selection - 6:30
Over the next several weeks, we also encourage you to send in pictures of your family reading the book selection together. Pictures will be posted in the school and your family will be entered into a draw for a special prize! Please send pictures to your child’s classroom teacher via email or in your child’s agenda.
We look forward to partaking in this reading journey with you! As always, we trust that you partake in conversations with your child (ren) about the wide range of topics and themes that occur throughout the novel.
Mike Mountain Horse 'One School, One Book' Committee