Wow… What a fantastic first day with a fantastic bunch of kids. We spent most of today talking, getting to know each other, exploring our classroom and new desks. We drew pictures of ourselves on our first day and tried to do some writing to show Mrs. Fallwell the words that we knew. How awesome.
I know there were a few parents that I didn't get to have much of a chat with this morning. That first half hour of the first day can be kind of crazy. Please know as parents you are ALWAYS welcome to come by and chat with me before or after school, or even just come and check out our classroom, your child's desk etc. I feel it's SO important for parents and teachers to get to know each other! Email me anytime!
I have a few things to update you on as we come towards the end of our first week.
1. Waterbottles: Please make sure your child brings a water bottle to school. They can take it home each day or leave it at school until Friday. We are so fortunate to have a sink in our classroom and can wash and fill our own water bottles whenever we need to! As cold and flu season approaches its a much better way to stay hydrated rather than using the fountain.
2. Handbook Package: If you didn't receive a Handbook package or Student Profile form from me today, please pop by and grab one at your convenience.
3. Snack Sign Up: There are still a few spots to sign up for party snacks if you're interested. The sign up sheet is on the counter in the classroom. Pop by anytime. I will send out reminders as each date approaches.
4. Drop Off and Pick Up: Please feel free to bring your child right to the classroom this week in the mornings. Beginning Monday children will be expected to play out on the playground until the bell rings at 8:15am. Once that bell rings students head into the courtyard and line up at the Grade One door to be invited in. Parents are MORE than welcome to accompany students in to the classroom at this time if they'd like to say good morning etc.
If students arrive after the second bell at 8:20am please pop by the office for a late slip.
At the end of the day please continue to come to the classroom as long as you wish. Many parents choose to come to the classroom all year and this is just fine. If the time comes that you'd like to make another arrangements, please just let me know so I can be sure your child gets where they need to be to meet you without any stress.
5. Scholastic Books: Your first Scholastic book order will be coming home tomorrow! Please return these by Tuesday if you'd like to place an order. These books are SO affordable and earn us free books every time you order!
6. Students inside/gym shoes have been placed on our bookrack and your child's spot has been labelled. Please remind your child to change their shoes in the morning. Their outside shoes can be left on the bookrack. Thanks so much for your help!
7. Five Things About Me Bags: Your child no doubt shared with your our special homework! Please don't feel as though you need to do this right away, anytime in the next week is great. We do 3 or 4 presentations a day, so if it takes a few days for your child to bring their bag home, please don't worry.
8. Agendas: Please initial your child's agenda each night and feel free to write notes to me whenever necessary. We will begin writing in our agendas soon, but it's a bit of a daunting task in the first few days.
9. Terry Fox Walk: Just a heads up that I am going to be looking for parent volunteers to join us for our Terry Fox Walk on Friday, September 23. We will be leaving the school around 8:45am (exact details to come) and will walk to and from Nicholas Sheran Park. After walking around the lake and cheering on our other Westside Schools we will return to MMH by about 10am. If you have little ones and would like to bring them along in strollers etc. we would be happy to have you! Please let me know if you'd like to join us.
10. Hot Lunch: Our first Hot Lunch is Tuesday, September 27. Please find details on, and pay with School Cash Online prior to the deadline if you'd like to order for your child. Hot lunch is a FAVORITE day for all students.
11. Meet the Teacher Night is next Tuesday! It starts with a Bring Your Own Picnic behind the school and is followed by a "Come and Go" in the classroom. There is no formal meeting at this time but feel free to come and chat and let your child show off their new environment.
Thank you so much! I'm so excited for the year ahead.